OpenLP gives you the ability to control your service from an Android based device. The following tutorial will describe how to install and use the application.
Open the Google Play Store app and search for OpenLP. You should find the OpenLP - Remote 2.0 app. Now install the app.
To use the Android application you must be on the same network as the OpenLP instance you are going to operate. If your Android device has Celluar data, you may need to turn it off so that you can communicate with your OpenLP instance through your Wifi connection.
You can now start the app and when you do, you will see the startup screen.
After the installation is complete and you open the OpenLP Remote app you will need to configure your Preferences. Open the preferences by touching the menu button in the top right corner and tapping on Preferences. This will show the Preferences screen.
Display Text Size¶
- Select display text size:
- This allows you to change the font size for the application display.
Auto center display¶
- Allow displays to auto center:
- Check this box to allow the selected item to scroll to the centre of the list.
Set Custom Timeout¶
In general the OpenLP Remote will work fine without having to change the custom timeout settings. If you experience connection issues or are having trouble staying connected, you can change these settings.
- Enable Custom Timeout:
- Check this box to enable setting a custom timeout.
- Connection Timeout:
- Once Custom Timeout has been enabled you can set a custom connection timeout here.
You will need to configure the server settings you will use with your phone. You can find these instructions and settings in the OpenLP desktop application under Remote.
Note: To use the OpenLP Remote you will need to be on the same network as the main computer.
- Hostname or IP:
- Enter the Server on IP address found in Remote. After entering the IP address in the box then select OK
- Enter the Port number found in Remote and enter it in the box. By default this is 4316. After entering the port number select OK.
- Here you can enter a username used for accessing OpenLP remotely. This must be the same as set in User Authentication.
- Here you can enter a password used for accessing OpenLP remotely. This must be the same as set in User Authentication.
Using the Android Remote¶
After you have completed the setup you are now ready to use the app. Touch the menu button in the top left corner to see the list of views the app supports.
Selecting Service List will take you to the Service Manager. Selecting an item in the service manager will immediately make it live on the projection screen and you will stay on the service screen on your device. You can use the arrows buttons shown on the bottom left and right to move to the next slide inside the item.
Selecting Live List will display what ever is in Service Manager at the time, or what is live at the moment. If there are items in the Service Manager they will be shown on the left, and the live item will be shown on the right. You can use the arrows buttons shown on the bottom left and right to move to the next slide inside the item.
When using the Live List it can be an advantage to use the device in landscape mode.
Selecting Stage View will display the stage view on your Android device. See the The Stage View section in the manual for a detailed description.
Selecting Live View will provide an exact copy of what is on the main display. See the The Live View section in the manual for a detailed description.
When using the Live view it can be an advantage to use the device in landscape mode.
Selecting Search will display the search window. On the search window you are able to search the OpenLP instance library and add items to the service or display them to the live display.
Selecting the library item to the right of Select Plugin will open the library search menu. Selecting any item on the menu will allow you to search that library item.
Selecting the blank line to the right of Search Text will allow you to enter the text you want to find. The search is the same search you would make on the instance of OpenLP Media Manager and will find parts of the lyrics within a song if you type in part of the lyrics. When you have typed in your search criteria, select the search icon in the keyboard to activate the search.
The search results will be displayed. If no results are shown, please refine your serch criteria by selecting the search text to make changes.
When the search results contain what you are looking for, select the item in the search results.
After selecting an item from the search results you can choose to Send Live, Add to Service or Cancel.
To send an alert to the live display, touch the alert button at the top right of the screen.
You can send an alert to the live display by entering the text in the box and clicking on Process. The alert will be displayed as you have it configured in Alerts.
To blank the display, touch the blank button at the top right of the screen.
Using the display blank type gives you the ability to blank your screen to the methods described below. You can find out more about this feature and how it operates on the main computer at Using the “Blank to” Control.
- Live display:
- Do not blank, or unblank the display.
- Display Black Only:
- Choosing this option will blank your projector to black as if it were shut off.
- Display Theme only:
- Choosing this option will show your blank theme only, without lyrics or verses. If you are blanking a song with an assigned theme it will blank to that theme. If no theme is assigned or you are blanking a presentation or image, it will blank to the global theme.
- Display Desktop background:
- Choosing this option will show your desktop wallpaper or a program that you have open on the extended monitor or projector. You can seamlessly switch between the desktop wallpaper or a program and OpenLP by Blank to Desktop.